April 30th is National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day. On the infographic below we will discuss all the pros when it comes to opening your home to a dog or a cat from a shelter.
- IT’S AWESOME
– Imagine walking in front of the kennel gates and seeing all those wagging dog tails and purring cat faces. They are waiting for you to give them a forever home, to be their savior.
- FIND A PET THAT MATCHES YOUR LIFESTYLE
– Shelters let you interact with the animals to see if their energy level and friendliness matches your lifestyle before you adopt them.
- BE READY FOR A NEW PET
– It is necessary to prepare emotionally and financially for a new pet. You need to dog-proof or cat-proof your home to ensure that they will be safe in their new environment.
- VET VISITS
– Make sure that you are prepared for emergency veterinary visits. Get pet insurance or a payment plan with your veterinarian.
- A HEALTHY PET IS A HAPPY PET
– Before bringing your new pet in your home take it to a veterinary check-up. Make sure they are healthy and ready for life-long loving companionship.
– Talk to other people that already have experience with adopting a pet from a shelter. You can read other people’s stories if you visit the hashtag #WhyIAdopt on social media.
- SPREAD THE LOVE
– There is nothing more satisfying than saving a life. Open your home for these lonely, loving souls and make a journey together.
If you would like to learn more about pet shelter, read “Veterinary Shelter Medicine” on our blog.