April 30th is National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day. On the infographic below we will discuss all the pros when it comes to opening your home to a dog or a cat from a shelter.
- IT’S AWESOME
– Imagine walking in front of the kennel gates and seeing all those wagging dog tails and purring cat faces. They are waiting for you to give them a forever home, to be their savior.
- FIND A PET THAT MATCHES YOUR LIFESTYLE
– Shelters let you interact with the animals to see if their energy level and friendliness matches your lifestyle before you adopt them.
- BE READY FOR A NEW PET
– It is necessary to prepare emotionally and financially for a new pet. You need to dog-proof or cat-proof your home to ensure that they will be safe in their new environment.
- VET VISITS
– Make sure that you are prepared for emergency veterinary visits. Get pet insurance or a payment plan with your veterinarian.
- A HEALTHY PET IS A HAPPY PET
– Before bringing your new pet in your home take it to a veterinary check-up. Make sure they are healthy and ready for life-long loving companionship.
– Talk to other people that already have experience with adopting a pet from a shelter. You can read other people’s stories if you visit the hashtag #WhyIAdopt on social media.
- SPREAD THE LOVE
– There is nothing more satisfying than saving a life. Open your home for these lonely, loving souls and make a journey together.
If you would like to learn more about pet shelter, read “Veterinary Shelter Medicine” on our blog.
Project dedicated to support and help to improve Veterinary Medicine. Sharing information and raising discussions in the veterinary community.