It is Take Your Dog to Work Day Again! How cool is that?
All About Take Your Dog to Work Day 2022
Having an animal-friendly work environment is probably everyone’s dream. Being a veterinary professional is making that dream come true! But for everybody else, that isn’t that lucky to work with animals every day, there is a holiday – the “Take your dog to work day”
This day is celebrated annually in June for the past 26 years. This holiday occurs every year on the Friday right after Father’s Day, and this year that is today, June 24th.
The holiday was started with the sincere hope that people without pets will see how beautiful a bond is the one between a man and his dog and decide to get one for themselves.
The History of Take Your Dog to Work Day
This holiday was started by Pet Sitters International, an organization for pet sitters and dog walkers where pet owners can search for available pet sitters. They held their first event in 1999. This holiday was created in 1996 as a result of Pet Sitters International being of the opinion that we leave our dogs home too often due to work and other commitments.
In 2003, a total of 500 companies adopted this policy for the day and the event and holiday is growing higher in numbers with each passing year.
How to Celebrate Take Your Dog to Work Day
What we mean by take your dog to work day, is to take them actually inside the office space or building and them being around you the whole day.
If your work at a company where this is not an observance already, you can be the one to spearhead the suggestion by listing the benefits to your employer and helping with the arrangements.
Make it fun by having a prize giving and where employees need to dress up their pets according to a theme and having everyone that is participating to bring treats and foods that can be shared during lunchtime with all the dogs.
The Benefits of Take Your Dog to Work Day
Surveys show that having pets at the workplace has many health benefits like lower blood pressure, less anxiety among employees, and an increase in physical activity. This also helps companies attract and keep employees, especially the young ones.
Taking your dog to work can be a great stress-reliever and a mental boost too. It is known that having dogs around you whilst working keeps you calm and adds to your productivity levels as well.
What Should You Pack for Take Your Dog to Work Day?
- Water bowls and food bowls
- Leash and harness
- Some soft bedding and blankets for them to sleep on
- Poop bags and a poop scooper
- A fan if it’s going to be hot or a portable heater if it’s cold inside the office
The Do’s and Don’ts of Take Your Dog to Work Day
- Clean up after your pet and make sure that you have removed any hair, or discarded food before you leave the office.
- Don’t let your dog distract other employees or harm their pets in any way.
- If your dog barks a lot or is not comfortable in your work environment, rather put in half a day’s leave or come in later before you have worked from home for the morning.
- Ensure that their is enrichment for your pet to keep them busy and take them for short pee breaks and walk at lunchtime in the fresh air.
Did you take your dog to work today?
If you enjoyed this article, you can also read up on another animal observance, also celebrated in June being, Pet Appreciation Week!
Project dedicated to support and help to improve Veterinary Medicine. Sharing information and raising discussions in the veterinary community.