What is Dog Paw Balm?
Paw balms for dogs are thick ointments you apply to your dog’s paw’s skin. The best dog paw balm repairs and protects dry, cracked skin like human moisturizing creams.
They’re instrumental in the winter to maintain your dog’s paw pads in good shape, as snow, ice, salt, and deicing chemicals can wreak havoc on them. You can use some paw balms on your dog’s nose as well.
How to Apply Dog Foot Balm
The best time to apply the balm is before going to bed or resting, so it has plenty of time to absorb. Using it right before a game or a workout is not a good idea.
- Gently rub a tiny bit of balm from the surface with your finger. Massage this into your dog’s paw pads until you achieve a lovely gloss and a smooth, even coverage. Try to keep your dog still for a few minutes during and after application by tummy massages, brushing, treating bribery, and other methods. If you have another person to assist you, this will be beneficial if you have a particularly wiggly dog because they will distract your dog. If not, a licking mat dipped in peanut butter would be an excellent diversion! The frequency of application depends on the degree of your dog’s broken paws as well as product recommendations.
- Rub or dab the balm onto the paw’s surface with clean hands or delicate cloth. To keep your dog from licking the cream off, immediately give them a treat or distract them with a toy. Allow your dog to play or run around the home for a few minutes before allowing him to do so. If you have hardwood or tile surfaces in your home, paw balms may make their paws slippery until the cream penetrates completely.
- Balms and waxes are excellent techniques to help hydrate and repair the skin if you see a crack or sore region on your dog’s paw. Call your veterinarian if the damage or inflamed spot is significant or worsens after many weeks of treatment.
- Remember never to use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to clean your dog’s paws, and apply a balm several times throughout the day, most importantly, before going to bed.
The Best Dog Paw Balms for This Year
- Musher’s Secret Dog Paw Wax: Best Overall for Winter and Dogs on Trails and Walks.
- Natural Dog Company | All Natural Organic Healing Balm: Best Used as A Moisturizing Travel Stick.
- Paw Pad Protection Balm for Dogs: Best for All Extreme Weather Season Conditions.
- Pet Head Oatmeal Natural Paw Butter: Best for Paw and Nose.
- Burt’s Bees for Pets Dog Grooming Supplies – Paw Lotion for Dogs: Best for Paw and Nose.
- ELAIMEI Dog Paw Balm: Best Natural Organic Paw Balm for Dogs.
- Dog Paw Balm Soother & Moisturizer – with Natural Shea Butter: Best for All Extreme Weather Season Conditions.
- Palmer’s for Pets Dog Grooming Supplies: Best for Paw and Nose.
- Natureland Organic Paw Wax for Dogs and Cats: Best for Sore Paws.
Your Dog Paw Balm Buying Guide
Only using balms explicitly did the damage for pets. Human products may contain harmful substances to dogs (if they lick them off) or ineffective on their tough paw pads.
The majority of paw balms are viscous ointments that come in jars, tubs, or tins. Scoop a small amount out with your fingertips and apply to your dog’s paw pads. Some paw balms are thinner, more like moisturizers, and come in squeeze bottles. Squeeze a small amount onto your dog’s pads or apply with your fingertips.
Stick dog paw balms, like lip balm, deodorant, or stick sunscreen, are also available. You don’t have to get your hands dirty by rubbing these directly onto your dog’s paw pads.
Different waxes, such as beeswax or plant wax, oils, such as coconut, olive, or avocado oil, shea butter or cocoa butter, petroleum, and lanolin, are used to create different dog paw balms. Some are enriched with CBD oil and incorporate extra chemicals to defend against yeast or germs.
The Best Dog Paw Ointments Unpacked
Musher’s Secret Dog Paw Wax: Best Overall for Winter and Dogs on Trails and Walks
Amazon’s Choice Award in Dog Paw Protectors by Musher’s Secret
Package Dimensions: 3.62 x 1.3 x 0.55 inches (9.2 x 3.3 x 1.4 centimeters)
Manufacturer: Natural Dog Company
About This Item
- Made with high-quality ingredients: Unique to some paw wax made with poor ingredients, our paw wax has been passed down through three generations. Musher’s Secret has always been manufactured with only the highest quality 100% natural food-grade waxes and oils to condition and protect your pet’s paws.
- Offers protection for hot/cold climate: This dog lotion acts as an invisible boot, forming a breathable shield against sand, heated pavement, snow, and salt, allowing your dog to mush, hike, hunt, or play safely in any weather!
- The best dog paw or cat paw cream: Musher’s Secret Dog Paw Cream, as seen and loved on a good morning, America, the New York times, people, and the dog clinic, brings you and your furry family the time-tested remedy of Canadian dog sled drivers. Our dog paw wax is one of the best cat paw or paw creams for dogs for heat, sand, snow, and rocky terrain by hunters and homebodies. Before going outside, apply to pads and between toes for healthy pet paws.
- Semi-permeable and easy to apply cream: Puppy pads, like good leather, can dry out and crack painfully. Our paw protection for dogs with vitamin e and beeswax is a high-quality paw soother that conditions and relaxes dog paws. In addition, our dog paw protection is semi-permeable, allowing perspiration to escape while keeping the pads strong, supple, and protected.
- It is versatile: This dog paw wax can also be effective on snouts, ears, elbows, and other “hot places.”
- Fast-drying, non-allergenic, and non-staining paw cream: This cream for dogs should be applied 2-3 times a week and more frequently in snowy conditions. Our dog paw balm absorbs quickly and leaves no stains on carpets, floors, or clothing— ideal for duck hunting dogs, trekking gear for dogs, cat paw balm, and dog care. Musher’s Secret paw wax for dogs will give your dog, cat, or other four-legged friends the love he deserves.
- Best production: Musher’s Secret is proudly created in Canada using a family-owned 3rd generation recipe explicitly developed for sled dogs. We made our wax with our animal friends in mind, and their health has always been and will continue to be our principal focus! We are now privileged to share our secret with you and your dogs. If you don’t like our paw butter for any reason, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us, and we will make it right.
- What we liked: It’s a gluten-free formula that’s safe and healthy for dogs. In addition, the quick-absorbing formula keeps dogs from slipping while walking or jogging.
Natural Dog Company | All-Natural Organic Healing Balm: Best Used as A Moisturizing Travel Stick
About This Item
- Issues the product targets: Paw Soother is an all-natural oil and herbal blend developed to cure rough, chapped, and dry dog paw pads. Many elements, such as ice, salt, sand, abrasive or hot surfaces can cause paws to dry and injured. Paw Soother helps to mend paws by intensely moisturizing and nourishing the skin.
- Likability: This balm is very safe. If your dog licks it, don’t worry, as it’s perfectly safe and edible. After one application, you’ll notice a difference! This item is a top recommendation; your dog will appreciate it.
- Non-staining stick balm: The balm is non-staining, and you should not worry about staining surfaces.
- Organic and all-natural ingredients: Only organic, you should use chemical-free substances on your pet’s paws. To provide your dog with 100% natural paw care, we use coconut oil, chamomile, mango butter, and cocoa butter.
- Offers Paw treatment and protection from hot/cold climate: It heals scars, wounds, dryness, hyperkeratosis, and inflamed elbows with plant-based substances. Apply this therapeutic balm to help soothe and protect your dog’s paw pads.
- Easy to apply, perfect for traveling: This on-the-go moisturizing stick balm slips into your pocket or backpack with ease. Soothe paw irritation everywhere you and your dog enjoy spending time together. Natural dog company paw soother hydrates soften and soothe dog paws to relieve roughness and dryness right away. It also keeps allergies from causing excessive licking and itching.
- Smell: All-natural organic healing balm has a lovely scent that will keep your dog licking its creams.
- The versatility of use: it can be used ideally on the dog’s ears, nose, and other body parts.
- We liked it: it works wonders on cracked paws, has a pleasant scent, and is easy to apply.
- What we did not like: it contains tea tree oil that may be toxic to dogs. It also melts quickly and therefore may not be suitable for all cases.
Paw Pad Protection Balm for Dogs: Best for All Extreme Weather Season Conditions
Amazon’s Choice Award in Dog Paw Protectors by Vets Preferred
About This Item
- Easy & quick to apply: It is easy to use. You only need to dip your paws into the paw soother balm or apply a tiny coating to the pads and between your dog’s toes! Always wipe your dog’s paws after being outside. Then, as needed, reapply the balm.
- Offers protection from hot/cold climate: A dog’s paw pads are susceptible to rough surfaces and harsh weather. This advanced paw pad protection balm has cold-pressed natural oils and waxes. It protects cracked pads and relaxes them. It keeps your dog’s paws protected from the elements in even the harshest weather. It comprises 100% pure natural waxes that you cannot find in most dog paw protection balms. It both protects and heals cracked pads and paws. Further, it protects your dog from very hot or very cold weather conditions.
- Veterinarian-grade ingredients: Our dog paw protection is manufactured with quality ingredients and perfected using proprietary formulas. Our dog paw wax is a non-toxic, safe solution to keep your dog’s paws protected. This dog paw balm comes from a lab-quality facility that has earned the GMP (good manufacturing process) seal. Without the need for cumbersome dog boots, our natural paw protection wax gives the optimum paw protection for dogs in any season.
- The versatility of use: Paw pad protection balm can be used ideally on the dog’s ears, nose, and other body parts.
- Issues the product targets: Our paw balm targets protect and heal your dog’s paws. It treats your dog’s scars, wounds, dryness, hyperkeratosis, and inflamed elbows with plant-based substances.
- Likability: It is a safe balm, and you should not worry if your dog licks it.
- Non-staining paw pad protection balm: When applied to your dog’s cream, it absorbs very quickly and therefore does not stain surfaces.
- Smell: This balm has a pleasant aroma that makes your dog comfortable.
- What we liked: It works quickly and perfectly on cracked paws. Also, it has a pleasant smell.
- What we did not like: It is pricey.
Pet Head Oatmeal Natural Paw Butter: Best for Paw and Nose
Brand: Pet Head
Item form: Cream
Item weight: 0.15 pounds (0.07 kilograms)
About This Item
- Fresh and unique smell: One of the primary aspects distinguishing Pet Head from other brands is the new and unique aroma that ensures your dog smells fantastic. It has paw butter with an oatmeal smell that protects and soothes dry, cracked paws.
- Likability: This nutritious and environmentally friendly mix is pH-adjusted for cats and is safe to lick or swallow.
- Issues the product targets: Pet Head Natural Paw Butter targets to promote paw health; treat dry, cracked noses, and relieve dry, cracked paws. It has a blend of shea butter, oats, mango, vitamins E and F, jojoba, coconut oil, olive oil, and aloe vera. Massage into your dog’s paws before and after walks to make it simple to use.
- Made with high-quality ingredients: Shea butter, oats, mango, vitamins E and F, coconut oil, olive oil, and aloe vera are all high-quality ingredients that help heal soft paws. All Pet Head formulations are of human-grade standards in the United States. They’re pH-balanced for dogs, devoid of petroleum derivatives and DEA, and won’t hurt them if licked or consumed.
- Protection for hot/cold climate: Natural oatmeal paw butter treats dry, cracked paws caused by hot or cold weather; it even works on noses! With it, your dog will be comfortable in all weather conditions.
- Application: Pet Head Oatmeal Natural Paw Butter is straightforward to apply.
- The versatility of use: You can use this paw butter on the dogs’ paws, noses, and other body parts without any challenges.
- What we liked: It is easy to apply and has a pleasant aroma. Also, it works quickly on damaged paws.
- What we did not like: It is pretty expensive.
Burt’s Bees for Pets Dog Grooming Supplies – Paw Lotion for Dogs: Best for Paw and Nose
Amazon’s Choice Award in Dog Fish Oil Supplements by Burt’s Bees
Brand: Burt’s Bees Natural Pet Care
Manufacturer: Fetch for pets
Animal Type: Dog
About This Item
- Smooth and easy to apply: This paw lotion is easy to apply. It will protect Your dog’s dry or cracked nose. It will also repair, preserve and restore paw pads. You should use it regularly. After walks and outdoor play, rub into your dog’s paw pads and dry snout.
- Made with the highest quality ingredients: This cream is blended with olive oil and Rosemary to soothe and nourish your dog’s body parts.
- The versatility of use: this cream is safe for your dog. You can use it on your dog’s paws, nose, and other body parts. It is a veterinarian-recommended dog nose and paw lotion devoid of scents, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals. It is suitable for all dogs and puppies. Made in the United States, this gentle moisturizer for dog paws is pH balanced for all dogs and puppies.
- Protection for hot/cold climate: It offers your dog protection from the harshness of both hot and cold temperatures.
- Issues the product targets: Our paw lotion for dogs aims to protect and heal your dog’s paws. It treats your dog’s scars, wounds, and inflamed elbows with its perfect substances.
- Likability: This lotion is safe to lick, so you do not need to worry if your dog licks it.
- Smell: Burt’s Bees lotion is natural and fragrance-free.
- Non-staining: A lotion absorbs quickly when applied and does not stain surfaces.
- What we liked: Paw lotion is easy to apply,fragrance-free, and versatile.
- What we did not like: It was pricey.
Information on the Product
Burt’s Bees has been working with nature to make skin-nourishing products since 1984. We feel that pets are family members; thus, we give them the same natural attention and care that we provide to our own.
Burt’s Bees For Dogs Paw and Nose Lotion is a gentle treatment created with Rosemary and olive oil that hydrates your pet’s dry and cracked nose and paw pads and taps into nature’s powers.
For your peace of mind and a happy dog, Burt’s Bees for Dogs Paw & Nose Lotion contains some of nature’s finest ingredients. Because we wanted a powerful but compassionate solution to provide protection and soothing nourishment to dogs and pups with rough skin that needed a little more love, Burt’s Bees uses all-natural ingredients.
The formula is manufactured with the highest quality ingredients and is 99.7% natural. To receive the most moisturizing results, use as needed and gently massage the lotion into the pet’s skin. Burt’s Bees Paw & Nose Lotion has a pH balance ideal for your dog or puppy.
This delicate yet effective cream is fragrance-free, sulfate-free, colorant-free, and free of harsh or harmful chemicals. This is an excellent natural alternative for dogs who enjoy long walks but need to heal their paws and nose pads without using a thick or medicated balm due to the rigid pavements.
Our goal is to use the natural healing power of ingredients to develop high-quality products that keep your pet healthy, happy, and looking their best.
ELAIMEI Dog Paw Balm: Best Natural Organic Paw Balm for Dogs
- Issues the product targets: This organic paw balm Heals and moisturizes dogs’ paws. It creates a permeable, solid barrier to protect your pet’s dry, rough, irritated feet from the elements, including heat, cold, sand, salt, and snow.his all-natural paw cream for dogs can help your pets feel better. Apply a small quantity to the paw or the nose and rub it in. Before engaging in any activity, make sure it is completely absorbed and that the feet have had time to dry. A little indeed goes a long way. Use daily for the best effects.
- The best ingredients: Sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, aloe extract, shea butter, and white beeswax are all-natural ingredients in this product.
- Protection for hot/cold climate: This balm is perfect whether the environment is hot or cold. It will protect your dog at all times and in all weather conditions.
- Likability: Elaimei Dog Paw Balm is non-toxic and lick-safe. It securely moisturizes and nourishes your dog’s paws.
- Smell: It has a pleasant aroma. The ingredient contains coconut oil, making this dog paw balm smell very good. A strong coconut flavor will make your dog like it more.
- Application: Paw Soother is a natural, friendly, easy to apply, and effective therapy for indoor and outdoor activities. It relieves irritation, which prevents paw licking.
- Non-staining paw balm: This balm absorbs very quickly when applied. It does not stain surfaces.
- The versatility of use: You can use it on the paws and all other body parts.
- What we liked: It is natural, easy to apply, and works quickly on dog paws. It offers all-in-one protection.
- What we did not like: It was pretty expensive.
Dog Paw Balm Soother & Moisturizer with Natural Shea Butter: Best for All Extreme Weather Season Conditions
- Issues the product targets: This paw balm soothes, moisturizes, and protects your dog’s paws, nose, and elbows. Paws can get dry and damaged very quickly, so use Hemptrex all-natural paw balm to treat your dog. For quick relief and comfort, use this fast-acting and long-lasting solution.
- Made with organic ingredients: Hemptrex balm contains organic ingredients such as coconut oil, shea butter, beeswax, carnauba wax, candelilla wax, and other natural therapeutic elements. Unlike other dog creams, this one contains no fillers or additives.
- Non-toxic, non-staining, and hypoallergenic: Hemptrex paw soother and moisturizer for dog paws are non-toxic and hypoallergenic, making it ideal for pets with sensitive skin and allergies. There are no parabens, sulfates, or synthetic perfumes in this product. For enhanced treatment and protection, add more aloe and vitamin E. It does not stain surfaces.
- Application: It’s simple to use and dries rapidly. Using HEMPTREX paw butter provides natural paw protection for dogs from the environment.
- Protection for hot/cold climate: this dog paw soother offers all-weather protection for your dog.
- Likability: It is safe to lick.
- Smell: It has no aroma.
- The versatility of use: you can use it on other body parts of your dog apart from the paws and the nose.
- What we liked: It is versatile and easy to use.
- What we did not like: It’s fragrance-free.
Palmer’s for Pets Dog Grooming Supplies: Best for Dogs Skin and Paw
Amazon’s Choice Award in Dog Grooming Wipes by Palmer’s for Pets
About This Item
- Issues the product targets: Palmers’ dog skin balm has skin-soothing properties for paws and dog skin. It soothes and heals feet and skins.
- Ingredients: It contains cocoa butter and vitamins to keep your dog’s skin and pads silky and smooth. It keeps your dog’s dry skin and rough paw pads nice and soft. This dog grooming product is paraben-free, phthalate-free, and gluten-free. It’s also cruelty-free and made with plant-based ingredients, so you can feel good about what you’re giving your pet.
- Non-staining: It absorbs quickly after application and therefore does not stain.
- Application: It is easy to apply.
- Protection for hot/cold climate: Palmer’s dog skin balm offers the best protection for your dog’s skin during different weather conditions. You should make sure you use it on your dog all the time.
- Likability: It is safe to lick.
- Smell: It has a pleasant scent.
- The versatility of use: It is mainly used on the dog’s skin, although you can also use it on paws.
- What we liked: This skin balm is easy to use and offers the best skin protection.
- What we did not like: It was pricey.
Natureland Organic Paw Wax for Dogs and Cats: Best for Sore Paws
Amazon’s Choice Award in Dog Paw Protectors by Natureland
About This Item
- Issues the product targets: This is a multipurpose paw protection wax for dogs and cats whose paws become dry and damaged due to walking on cold snow, hot sand, or rough outdoor terrain. This dog paw wax forms an invisible screen over their pads, preventing them from becoming dry and chapped. It is perfect for pets with sensitive paws. Organic paw wax nourishes pads with a thin, mess-free layer that keeps necessary moisture while providing multilayer protection for tiny dogs, large dogs, and every creature in between.
- Made with the best ingredients: Natureland mixes our dog wax for paws with all-natural aloe vera, white beeswax, shea butter, vitamin E, and other essential oils to keep their feet nice all year long, regardless of the changing seasons. It consists of natural and organic components, which means it won’t stain carpets, flooring, or clothes, and it helps condition paws while they’re running, playing, and taking walks in the park.
- Staining: It does not stain surfaces after application.
- Protects hot/cold climate: Natureland paw wax is essential for active, outdoor dogs who frequently accompany you on mountain excursions, enjoy playing in the snow, never miss a beach trip, and take short walks in the neighborhood. It provides total protection in all weather conditions.
- Application and versatility: the organic paw wax is easy to apply to your dog. You can use it on your dog’s paws and other body parts.
- Likability: Do not be worried if your dog licks it. It is safe to lick.
- Smell: It has a pleasant scent.
- What we liked: this skin balm is easy to use.
- What we did not like: It was pricey.
FAQs Dog Paw Butter
What is the Best Way to Put on Dog Paw Balm
Scoop up a tiny amount of thick paw balm ointment and rub it into your dog’s paw pads. Thinner paw balms can be squirted directly from the bottle onto your dog’s paw pads and massaged in. It’s unnecessary to rub stick paw balms into the paw pads with your fingertips. Instead, always follow the paw balm’s recommendations for how much and how often to apply it.
Can You Use Dog Foot Lotion on Canine Noses?
You can apply most dog paw balms on the dog’s nose as well as his paw pads. Ensure the paw balm you’re using is safe to use on a dog’s nose by reading the package label.
Does My Dog Need Paw Balm?
Paw balms are an excellent method to keep your paws moisturized and protected from irritants. In addition, paw balms provide a barrier between your dog’s paw pads and the ground if your dog walks on ice salty sidewalks frequently. Paw balms can also relieve itchy and dry paws, so if your dog has allergies or hyperkeratosis, balms can help.
Balms will hydrate your dog’s paws like a lotion if they are more challenging than usual. However, if your lucky dog has healthy, silky feet, a balm is unlikely to make a difference.
Can I Use Vaseline on My Dog’s Rough Paws?
Although Vaseline is theoretically benign to dogs, we do not suggest its use. Vaseline appears to be a favorite food of dogs. But, according to our veterinarians, it also has a reputation for producing belly issues.
Although it’s not an exact science, most veterinarians will advise you to bring your pet in for a checkup if you suspect they’ve consumed a significant amount of Vaseline.
There’s no reason to use Vaseline instead of a more appropriate pet product. We advise you to stay away from it entirely.
Can I Use Olive Oil on My Dog’s Paw Pads?
Yes, olive oil is an entirely safe treatment for your canine companion. Is it, however, effective? Yes, for hair. Probably for paws and skin. Olive oil contains antioxidants, vitamin E, and fatty acids, all of which are beneficial to your dog’s coat. Unfortunately, olive oil does not perform a good job retaining moisture in the skin.
While olive oil is technically an occlusive agent (think saran wrap for human skin), it isn’t the ideal choice for your dog’s skin. It’s high in oleic acid, which might cause tiny pores in your dog’s skin’s outer layer, enabling moisture to escape.
If you absolutely must use store-bought oil, opt for argan oil. It contains many linoleic acids and is a superior moisturizer for dog paws and people.
If My Dog Licks the Paw Balm, Will It Make Them Sick?
It’s not a big problem to eat a bit of all-natural paw balm or wax. However, those items are for dogs. If your dog eats Vaseline or any human substance, they are likely to have stomach problems.
As a result, we recommend opting for certified organic balms made entirely of natural ingredients. Unfortunately, it’s a reality that part of what you put on your dog’s body will end up in their stomach.
Why Trust I Love Veterinary
You should have faith and trust. I Love Veterinary because it provides a wealth of knowledge about your pet; how to care for them while watching them grow in the best possible way. Do you have any queries about veterinary? I Love Veterinary will assist you in answering them.
I Love Veterinary’s Final Verdict When it Comes to the Best Dog Paw Balms.
Even if their paw pads are damaged, dry, or uncomfortable, dogs have no issue rushing forward. You must keep an eye out for limping, licking, or gnawing, as well as noticeable cracks and blisters.
You should take your pet to the veterinarian as soon as you notice a problem. While you’re there, you can talk about dog paw balms and whether they’ll help your dog in the future.
You can’t put your dog in a bubble to keep them safe from the elements. And being locked up inside all day would make them uncomfortable. So it’s preferable to give their tootsies some TLC now and again. Unless, of course, your dog adores shoes.
Musher’s Secret Dog Paw Wax is our discussions’ best dog paw balm. It offers your dog protection against sand, dirt, snow, heat, and hot pavement.
Project dedicated to support and help to improve Veterinary Medicine. Sharing information and raising discussions in the veterinary community.