A public aquarium is the aquatic counterpart of a zoo, which houses living aquatic animal and plant specimens for public viewing. Most public aquariums feature tanks larger than those kept by home aquarists, as well as smaller tanks.
On the infographic below you can see the 5 best aquariums in the World.
- TURKUAZOO AQUARIUM
– The Turkazoo aquarium opened in 2009, and it was Turkey’s first super aquarium. Turkazoo is actually located inside the Forum Istanbul Shopping Mall, and it contains a rainforest, a flooded forest, and multiple tropical sea zones. There are over 10,000 sea creatures in the aquarium including various types of sharks, rays, and seahorses.
- L’OCEANOGRAFIC AQUARIUM
– Located inside the City of Arts and Sciences in Valencia, Spain, L’Oceanogra is the largest aquarium tank in Europe. There are over 45,000 different marine animals in the tanks with over 8,000 different species. There are nine underwater towers that are on two levels to represent the diverse marine ecosystems in place.
- THE OKINAWA CHURAUMI AQUARIUM
– The Ocean Expo Park in Japan is home to the Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium and its 1.98 million gallons of water. The aquarium was constructed in 2002, and it features a 24-inch thick acrylic glass panel that measures 27 feet high by 74 feet wide.
- DUBAI MALL AQUARIUM
– The Dubai Mall is one of the largest malls in the world, and it is only fitting for the mall to house the second largest aquarium in the world. The 2.64 million gallons of water are held back from the public by the largest acrylic panel in the world that’s 30 inch thick, 27 feet high, and 108 feet wide.
- GEORGIA AQUARIUM
– The Georgia Aquarium is by far the largest aquarium in the world at over 6.3 million gallons. You could pour the water from the three previously mentioned aquariums into this behemoth. When it opened in 2005 it was the only aquarium outside of Asia where you could see whale sharks.
- Aquarium info source: “The 5 Largest Aquariums in the World“.