The Chihuahua has been one of everyone’s favorite toy breed dogs. Just look at Chihuahua puppies and you will fall in love with them. Chihuahuas are dogs that are great for apartment living, they hate the cold and can be very snippy with strangers. Veterinarians like to say that Chihuahuas are the Napoleons of the dog World and that’s why we celebrate national chihuahua day.
National Chihuahua Appreciation Day
May 14th is National Chihuahua Appreciation Day so we created this infographic in their honor.
On the infographic below we gathered some information about their origins and the breed. Read on.
Vet Perspective Chihuahua info-graphic
ANCIENT MEXICAN BREED
– It is believed that the Chihuahua is an ancient dog breed. It was first discovered in the late 19th century in Mexico, in the state Chihuahua and it was named after it. The Chihuahua is considered to be the World’s smallest dog.
- TYPES OF CHIHUAHUA
SMOOTH AND LONG COAT
– There are two types of adorable Chihuahua puppies, the Smooth Coat Chihuahua (with a long, glossy coat) and the Long Coat Chihuahua (with a long flat, or slightly wavy coat with a long tail).
- LOOKS AND CHARMS
TINY AND FEISTY
– Chihuahuas are in the group of toy breeds and if fed a proper diet should be 3-6 pounds. The height is between 6 and 9 inches. They live 12-14 years, but we’ve seen Chihuahuas that mark the 18 years mark.
- HEALTH ISSUES
– Heart disease (PDA, mitral valve disease), Corneal dystrophy, Hypoglycemia, Joint problems, Hydrocephalus, Tracheal collapse, Dental problems
- GROOMING AND TRAINING
CLEAN AND FAST
– Since they are very small dogs, they are easy to keep clean. They have very little doggy odor. Their toenails grow faster so keep an eye and cut them regularly. They are great for an apartment living but have a lot of energy.
Happy National Chihuahua Appreciation Day!
Project dedicated to support and help to improve Veterinary Medicine. Sharing information and raising discussions in the veterinary community.