Do you know why dogs live less than humans? Well, here are some explanations about why is that so and how to calculate your dog’s years.
How old is my dog in Human years?
- Science does not sustain the theory 1 human = 7 dog years. Every breed ages differently.
- Smaller breeds lean to have a longer lifespan than larger breeds. The reasons behind these are still unknown, but a possible cause could be due to the fast growth of large breeds.
- Some guidelines to calculate dog years to human years:
- 15 human years = The first year of a medium-sized dog.
- Add up 9 years to get the second year of a dog.
- Then, 5 human years would be roughly 5 years for a dog.
- A 2019 study shared a new formula to calculate dog years to human years based on overtime changes to dogs DNA: human_age = 16ln(dog_age) + 31.
There are projects that continuously work to understand aging in dogs such as the Dog Aging Project