Examination of the outer ear canal is sometimes a hassle, mostly because animals with acute and chronic ear inflammation experience severe pain and sometimes have to be sedated, even for simple check-up. It’s important for the vet to make the examination as painless as possible and quite thorough so that the real cause for otitis can be identified.
We prepared a list of top 7 otoscopes used in the veterinary field with all of the pros and cons of each product.
Our top picks of Veterinary Otoscopes
- Easy to use
- Good for vet students
- Digital macro-view feature
- High price
- No power handle included
- 0.5 kg/1 pound
- Otoscope, Mini USB cable (3 m/10.0 ft), Reusable ear spatula set
The otoscope comes with 10pcs, 4 mm each ear specula and ophthalmoscope with 4 openings, halogen hl illumination resembling daylight and 17 diopters focus. The magnifying lens is replaceable and optional insertion of external instruments is possible once the lens is removed.
- Two in one ophthalmology and otoscopy tools
- Affordable price
- No digital features
- Only for basic examination
- 18 x 8 x 12 inches;
- 10 pounds shipping weight
- Otoscope, ophthalmoscope, ear specula set
Welch Allyn Standard Diagnostic Set feat. Coaxial Ophthalmoscope, MacroView Otoscope and Nickel Cadmium Rechargeable Handle
The Welch Allyn Diagnostic Set is an essential part of the vet clinic, for everyday ear, throat and nose examination.
- Owned by 95% US-based physicians and vets
- Coaxial Ophtalmoscope – 6 apertures, 28 focusing lenses, visual system that helps eliminate shadows
- Macroview Otoscope – 2X larger field of view of the tympanic membrane; built in throat illumination
- Nickel Cadmium Rechargable/Convertible Handle – versatile; can be used with plug or batteries
- Good for pneumatic tympanic membrane testing
- Used for rhinoscopic examinations
This is a professional veterinary otoscope good for small and large animals. This kit is with open slot and is to be used as operating otoscope, because the head will allow for forceps use and retrieval of foxtails and foreign bodies.
Optical Quality Glass 5x magnifying lens with scratch resistant coating.
It has 3V.2 Led Lamp producing white light. In addition, you get three ear specula 4 mm, 5 mm and 7 mm in length made out of polypropylene and autoclavable.
- Used in small and large animal practice
- Autoclavable specula
- No extra specula
- No batteries included
The operating vet kit comes with an operating open slot to allow the use of forceps.
The forceps which are included in the kit are very useful when retrieval of foxtails and various foreign bodies out the ear canal is required. The set is packed in carrying snap-shut case covered with protective soft foam from the inside.
With the purchase of this otoscope kit you get operating otoscope head, microforceps, three speculum sizes (4 mm, 6 mm, 7 mm) and expandable specula. The forceps work really well with the expandable specula. The otoscope has glass lens with 5x magnification.
- Affordable price
- Great for removal of foreign bodies in the ear canal
- Expandable specula included
- Heavy to use for some people
- Too short expanding forceps for some breeds
- 2 replacement bulbs
- 1 forceps, 3 speculas (4 mm, 5 mm, 7 mm)
- Expanding specula
This is the only otoscope found on Amazon.com that is FDA approved.
Besides the lightweight characteristic and quality material (brass metal body, polymer weight) the greatest feature is the brightness of the light with color rendition correction that gives the true tissue color of the outer ear canal.
The product is packed in a protective carrying case and 15 ear speculas are included in the set. It can be used by both professional vets and students. With every purchase, you get a free educational e-book.
- High-quality material
- Excellent brightness features
- E-book included
- Parts more suitable for human medicine
- Not suitable for standard disposable specula
- 8.8 ounces
- Protective case, otoscope head, and handler
- 15 adjustable speculas
Another open-system otoscope set both for examination of the ear canal and retrieving foreign bodies and foxtails with scratch-resistant lens and 5x magnification possibility.
Like most open-system veterinary sets you get a chrome-plated brass handle with otoscope head, expandable specula, microforceps, 4 mm, 6 mm, and 7mm speculas. The price is $59.99 and additional $4.99 for shipping.
- Good for foreign body retrieval
- Affordable price
- Thin carrying case
- Possible low-quality plastic
It is very good for starting out and for veterinary students.
- Extra Long Veterinary Specula
- Crystal Clear Optics
- Inexpensive compared to the other more professional otoscopes
Project dedicated to support and help to improve Veterinary Medicine. Sharing information and raising discussions in the veterinary community.